Staff TBI Skill Builder is a 14-module, on-line training program designed for frontline staff new to working with adults with brain injury across a range of settings (e.g., residential support programs, day programs). Skill Builder can also be used as a refresher course for staff with more experience working with this population.
Staff TBI Skill Builder takes approximately 3-5 hours to complete and is now available at no cost. Watch the introductory video below and sign up to access the course.
Sign up for Staff TBI Skill Builder! https://learn.cbirt.org/skillbuilder/
How to create an account for Staff TBI Skill Builder
- Step 1: Click the link or type in https://learn.cbirt.org/skillbuilder/
- Step 2: Click “Create an account”.
- Step 3: Enter first name, last name and email address; Check the box that says “I understand and agree with the Oba Terms & Conditions.”; Click “SIGN ME UP!”
- Step 4: Go to your email (check your spam folder if needed) and click on the link provided. (NOTE: This link expires in 24 hours.)
- Step 5: Choose your username and password and click “SUBMIT”.
- Step 6: You’re all set. Enjoy the program!
Trouble signing up? Contact email@example.com
- Important Facts About Brain Injury
- Get to Know the Person
- Support Communication – Part I
- Support Communication – Part 2
- Support the Use of Memory Tools
- Support Cognition
- Support Access to Healthcare Providers, Activities of Daily Living and Wellness Routines
- Support Participation in Personally Meaningful Activities
- Build Positive Daily Routines
- Self-Care for Staff
- Understand the Reason for Challenging Behaviors
- Respond to Challenging Situations and Behaviors “In the Moment”
- Understand Conditions that Co-Occur with Brain Injury
- Practice Putting it All Together
Note: Skill Builder is not a stand-alone training program but is intended to complement other types of trainings (e.g., on-site trainings/learning communities, workshops, etc.).
A Certificate of Achievement is available upon successfully completing the program.
Skill Builder Project Publications
Powell, L.E., Gomez, D., Gau, J., Glang, A, Perez, A., Slocumb, J., Beck., L., and Dawson, M. (2019). A survey of the training experiences and needs of paraprofessionals serving adults with brain injury. Brain Injury. Retrieved https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/5BN6JJDKEP22WJCCNFXW/full?target=10.1080/02699052.2019.1686773
Funded by: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services -
National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research (NIDILRR) [90IF0124-02-00]
Start date: October 1, 2016 -– September 2019
Project Director Laurie Powell, PhD
Co-Director: Ann Glang, PhD
Project Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
For other training resources, please visit - Brain Injury Association of America - ACBIS Fundamentals