Staff TBI Skill Builder is a 14-module, online training program designed for frontline staff new to working with adults with brain injury across a range of settings (e.g., residential support programs, day programs). Skill Builder can also be used as a refresher course for staff with more experience working with this population.
Staff TBI Skill Builder takes approximately 3-5 hours to complete and is now available at no cost. Watch the introductory video below and sign up to access the course.
Sign up for Staff TBI Skill Builder! https://learn.cbirt.org/
How to create an account for Staff TBI Skill Builder
- Step 1: Click the link or type in learn.cbirt.org/
- Step 2: Click “Create an account”.
- Step 3: Enter first name, last name and email address; Check the box that says “I understand and agree with the Oba Terms & Conditions.”; Click “SIGN ME UP!”
- Step 4: Go to your email (check your spam folder if needed) and click on the link provided. (NOTE: This link expires in 24 hours.)
- Step 5: Choose your username and password and click “SUBMIT”.
- Step 6: You’re all set. Enjoy the program!
Trouble signing up? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Important Facts About Brain Injury
- Get to Know the Person
- Support Communication – Part I
- Support Communication – Part 2
- Support the Use of Memory Tools
- Support Cognition
- Support Access to Healthcare Providers, Activities of Daily Living and Wellness Routines
- Support Participation in Personally Meaningful Activities
- Build Positive Daily Routines
- Self-Care for Staff
- Understand the Reason for Challenging Behaviors
- Respond to Challenging Situations and Behaviors “In the Moment”
- Understand Conditions that Co-Occur with Brain Injury
- Practice Putting it All Together
Note: Skill Builder is not a stand-alone training program but is intended to complement other types of trainings (e.g., on-site trainings/learning communities, workshops, etc.).
A Certificate of Achievement is available upon successfully completing the program.
Skill Builder Project Publications
Powell, L.E., Gau, J., Glang, A., Corrigan, J., Ramirez, M., & Slocumb, J. (2021). Staff TBI Skill Builder: Evaluation of an online training program for paraprofessional staff serving adults with moderate–severe TBI. Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation, 36(5). E329–E336. doi: 10.1097/HTR.0000000000000661 Abstract
Powell, L.E., Gomez, D., Gau, J., Glang, A, Perez, A., Slocumb, J., Beck., L., and Dawson, M. (2020). A survey of the training experiences and needs of paraprofessionals serving adults with brain injury. Brain Injury, 34(2), 281-289. Abstract
Overview of Staff TBI Skill Builder Program
Laurie Powell, PhD
Funded by: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services -
National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research (NIDILRR) [90IF0124-02-00]
Start date: October 1, 2016 -– September 2019
Project Director Laurie Powell, PhD
Co-Director: Ann Glang, PhD
Project Contact: email@example.com
For other training resources, please visit - Brain Injury Association of America - ACBIS Fundamentals